The mission of the Office of Career Services is to provide professional development opportunities to MPA students by offering activities including resumé and cover letter workshops as well as networking and interviewing informational sessions.
Our Career Services Coordinator assists in locating internships and full-time employment using various resources available, including a comprehensive listing of internships and jobs accepted. Throughout the academic year, we host employment recruitment opportunities and invite employers and practitioners from the field to talk about the work they do.
Detailed information about the following Career Services Events can be found on the Events Calendar.
EMPLOYMENT AND INTERNSHIP DATA
RESOURCES FOR CURRENT STUDENTS
The main resource for current students is the new eLC, which houses the MPA Careers Website. On the site, students are able to:
- Search internship and job announcements
- Learn about upcoming Career Services events and information sessions
- View sample resumés and cover letters
- View past Career Services presentations
The MPA Careers Website is reserved for current UGA MPA students and alumni. To become a member of the MPA Careers Website, MPA students and alumni should email Brandon.Solie@wethewildpdx.com and provide their UGA email address.
RESOURCES FOR ALUMNI
Alumni can take advantage of the following Career Service offerings:
- Critique of resumés and cover letters
- Individual counseling sessions
- Access to the MPA Careers Website
For more information, please contact Brandon Solie, Career Services and Recruitment Assistant Director at Brandon.Solie@wethewildpdx.com or (706) 542-9583.
The University of Georgia, Master of Public Administration program Office of Career Services is part of a reciprocity agreement with the Offices of Career Services at several of the leading public administration and policy programs around the country, including:
- Brandeis University (Massachusetts)
- Brown University (Rhode Island)
- Carnegie Mellon University (Pennsylvania)
- City University of New York, Baruch (New York)
- Cleveland State University (Ohio)
- College of William & Mary (Virginia)
- Duke University (North Carolina)
- George Mason University (Virginia)
- George Washington University (Washington, D.C.)
- Indiana University (Indiana)
- The Ohio State University (Ohio)
- Pepperdine University (California)
- State University of New York, Albany (New York)
- Syracuse University (New York)
- Texas A & M University (Texas)
- The University of California, Los Angeles (California)
- The University of Colorado, Denver (Colorado)
- The University of Connecticut (Connecticut)
- The University of Kentucky (Kentucky)
- The University of Maryland, College Park (Maryland)
- The University of Minnesota (Minnesota)
- The University of Nebraska, Omaha (Nebraska)
- The University of Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania)
- The University of Southern California (California)
- The University of Texas, Austin (Texas)
- The University of Virginia(Virginia)
- The University of Washington (Washington)
- The University of Wisconsin, Madison (Wisconsin)
To take advantage of this opportunity, please contact Brandon Solie, Career Services and Recruitment Assistant Director at Brandon.Solie@wethewildpdx.com or (706) 542-9583. Reciprocity services can only be initiated through the MPA Office of Career Services.
RESOURCES FOR EMPLOYERS
Why Recruit a Georgia MPA?
Students who complete the Master of Public Administration program at the University of Georgia will have received first-rate preparation for a career in public service, policy analysis, or non-profit management. Whether Georgia MPA alumni choose to work in government at the federal, state, or local or international level, or to work for a nonprofit or nongovernmental organization, students are educated in many of the essential fields and skills needed by such entities.
The Georgia MPA is one of the nation’s top-rated graduate programs in public affairs, with students and alumni from throughout the US and many other countries. Required courses in the MPA program include work on public finance and budgeting, the management of human resources, organizational theory, and public policy to ensure a solid foundation in and appreciation for the distinct qualities that typify governance and the public sector. Students are also required to complete a two-course management information and research sequence, where they learn the basics of research design and statistics applied to decision making. Students can specialize in Local Government Administration, Public Budgeting and Finance, Public Management/Organizational Theory, Public Personnel Administration, Public Policy, Health Policy and Administration, Non-Profit Administration, or Higher Education Administration. A comprehensive examination is also required during the final semester of the program. Students without significant prior work experience in the public or non-profit sector are also required to complete an internship.
For more information or to post an internship or job announcement, please contact Brandon Solie, Career Services and Recruitment Assistant Director at Brandon.Solie@wethewildpdx.com or (706) 542-9583.